Saturday 5 December 2015

This Trans Boy Dances: An Introduction


Welcome to Trans Boys Can Dance!

I'm Sam, a newly-out transgender boy and let me tell you something about me- I love ballet. I'm obsessed! For the past few months I've been pirouetting around my living room, arabesque-ing as I fill the dishwasher, and practicing my pliés as I study. Somehow, my entire life has started to revolve around ballet and just yesterday, after six months of begging and nagging and searching around, I attended my first ever ballet class. It was amazing. After that, I've decided that my silly little dreams could become very real.

I desperately want to become a professional dancer. A late-starter, transgender ballet dancer with a cause- sounds impossible, doesn't it? It did to me at first (when I was still sane!) but now I've embraced the idea. Who cares if it turns out to be impossible? There are plenty of people who've been dancing since the age of three, perfect bodies practically made for ballet, who give up due to the pressure. I'm going to try my hardest and nobody is going to get in my way! Gender non-conforming people of the world- watch out, because I'm here to represent!

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) there has never been a professional classical ballet dancer who is transgender at the time of dancing. Maybe there are a few who've transitioned afterwards, but I've never heard of a performing trans classical ballet dancer who doesn't dance for humour like some kind of zoo animal for cis people to laugh at. I want to be the first serious trans ballet dancer in the world.

Now for some background information about me. I'm sixteen years old in a relatively low-income family in Ireland, basically meaning: I'm too late to be a dancer, I can't afford to be a dancer, and there's nowhere to get good ballet classes! That's what I thought it meant, at least. I found a class about half an hour away from me which was willing to take an older beginner into the Intermediate class (RAD syllabus). Classes are pretty cheap, about ten euro per week, and the teachers are fantastic. I'm on my way!

There will be a post up later about my first class and also some tips on starting ballet as a late beginner. If anyone is in a similar dance situation as me or even just has some tips for a boy who dances, please feel free to pass them along in the comments! While I've been looking for tips over the past few months, one of the things that really got me through were the fantastic comments from the ballet community on all sorts of posts. Please share what you can with the community!

Thank you all so much for reading my silly little bog post- it means a lot!

-Sam

10 comments:

  1. HI Sam: Good luck and follow your dreams. What do you wear for your ballet classes>

    There is a FTM ballet dancer in my class. He is very kool. He wears a white shirt, black tights, white socks, white ballet shoes and a dance belt.

    please write back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks for your support! I wear a white shirt, black footed tights and black ballet shoes. I'm planning on getting a dance belt for performances, but it isn't really necessary in class because everyone knows I'm FTM anyway!

      ~Sam

      Delete
  2. Hi again:)

    Since you are studying for your RAD examine, are you learning the guys stuff instead of the girls stuff since you want to take the boys exam? Are there other guys in your ballet classes?

    That is great that the girls accept you as a male - that is so kool and I am sure it is very encouraging for you :)

    Do you have your teacher call you another name in ballet ? Just wondering?

    Do you have any questions for me?

    Ps: if you are doing a pirurette and you fall forward, you need to have EQUAL weight in your plié before doing the pirurette! Make sure your supporting leg is completely straight but not LOCKED! Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm learning the guys' syllabus, but so far I haven't noticed anything different about them (or at least, my teacher hasn't reached any varying parts in the syllabus yet). I'm the only boy in the class, but I'm hoping to move to a bigger ballet school with more boys soon!

      My teacher calls me by my birth name in class, which I don't mind, but if I move somewhere else I'll be signing up with the name 'Sam'!

      Thanks so much for your pirouette advice, I'll definitely work on it! I think I'm locking the leg and tipping my weight forward. I've been practicing slowly at the barre and I've seen lots of improvement already!

      Thank you so much,
      ~Sam

      Delete
    2. Sam:

      What a great name ! I love that name:). You can always have your ballet teacher and studio call you " Sam " . Tell them that you feel more comfortable . They already know you are in transition from female to male . They will understand .

      Are you wearing men's black tights or ladies ones? Men's tights are a lot thicker and less sheen to it.

      Are you going to post some pictures of you from ballet classes on your blog page? It will be useful got other dancers that might be in your same situation. Do you always wear black tights for classes? Why don't you wear a white shirt for ballet classes ? If you wear a white shirt, your teacher can see your body alignment .

      Do you have short or long hair?

      Write back

      Delete
  3. I have a close friend who is a trans guy and he's taking a dance class that requires he wears men's dance tights and a shirt, but the men's tights wouldn't fit right as he's FTM. Do you have any resources for getting tights that would be the same as men's dance tights, but fit right on someone FTM? I've been looking for specific transgender resources, but any are welcome. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a trans boy late beginner ballet dancer!! Yay!!!! And I am also obsessed. It's weird how fast you can become obsessed, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter:

      Good luck on your dance training as a guy! How old are you? What do you wear for your ballet classes?

      Delete
  6. Ahhh I'm so glad to find people of the same ilk. I'm a 14 year old ftm ballet beginner and I'm always worrying that my future plans are flawed and impossible.

    Thank you for giving me hope.

    Remus

    ReplyDelete