Tuesday 12 January 2016

Struggling with Syllabi


Hello everyone!

I've attended my first ballet class of 2016! It was fun but incredibly overwhelming, because we've started doing full syllabus run-throughs. Before now, we've been focusing on barre, one piece of centre and one piece of allegro each class, but last class we went through every exercise on the list one by one. It was a really fun way of doing everything, even though it didn't allow much time for corrections. I now have a list of everything we'll need to know for the class, so I can practice a lot more thoroughly at home now!

Sadly, I've noticed one problem- because I'm the only boy in my class, we obviously focus on the female syllabus. I only realised today when I went to look at the online syllabus that there are in fact two more pieces of allegro for males- Allegro 4 and 5, which haven't been covered or even mentioned. We also have to learn Variations or solo pieces, and I haven't got any information on these either. If anybody has any tips for studying the male version of the RAD syllabus, please leave a comment below!

I think one of my main struggles is trying to learn the work while also dealing with technique. I'm trying to practice as many times as I can at home, and I'm hopefully going to be taking a few more classes throughout the week so hopefully I'll start improving a bit faster! My 'studio' also has tile floors which means that no matter how often I practice pirouettes at home, I seem to be unable to do one without falling over in class- particularly with my brand new ballet shoes. They're full-sole leather SóDanças, and they haven't quite been broken in yet but I'm working on it. It's quite difficult to tendu in them, but I've read that they actually help to strengthen the small muscles of the feet so I don't mind.

Speaking of struggling, can anyone recommend the RAD DVDs for practice? I'm considering buying one but I'm not completely sure- it would definitely help with the things like Allegro 4 and 5 that we won't be covering as much, but I don't have any idea about the quality of the videos- do they have helpful tips or is it just walkthroughs? If you have any, let me know! I'd love to read your opinions.

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting. I really appreciate every comment I receive, and I hope you're all enjoying reading my story!

~Sam




3 comments:

  1. Hi Sam:

    Can you add a lower level ballet class to work on technique and to learn the ballet vocabulary? It is always wise to take a lower level class if possible! I myself take different levels of ballet classes - it's very helpful-

    As for RAD I do not do that - so sorry that I cannot help in that area!

    Otherwise it sounds like you are enjoying your ballet classes- do you only take one class a week?

    I bet you are doing better in ballet. I hope one day you can take ballet classes with other guys in it! Are you the only guy in the whole school?

    Please write back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I'm afraid I can't do another class at the moment, although there is something interesting on the way... There'll be a post all about it soon enough!

      One class a week is all right now, but I hope to add a few more soon. I'm the only guy in the school as far as I know, but they have taught guys before. Most of them just move on to bigger schools, it seems.

      Thanks for your comment!
      ~Sam

      Delete
  2. What's the link for viewing the syllabus online?

    The RAD DVDs are well produced. You can write to ask them how detailed they are for the male centre work

    ReplyDelete