Thursday 3 March 2016

Applying and Auditioning as a Transgender Dancer


Sometimes it can be scary to put yourself out there as a trans dancer. I certainly find it hard, especially as there are certain people I'm out to and others who I am not. This makes it difficult to apply and audition for schools, workshops, and other dance-related courses. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm proud to announce that I have one audition under my belt and it was a success! I am now dancing with students who are below me in age, but I'm dancing with the most successful Irish dancer in the history of Irish ballet. She's an absolute inspiration and although I've only attended one class with her, I have learned so much and I can't wait to do more!

Applying is probably the hardest part of the process for somebody who isn't cisgender- it's the awkward time when you decide how you want to portray yourself and how much you want to say. My first piece of advice is to do your research. See if they have an equality policy (you can usually find this on their website). Stalk their Facebook and see if they have any pictures of trans students or if they openly support LGBT+ movements. It's best to know before you apply that they will accept you for who you are.

If they seem open and accepting towards trans students, apply! Send an email explaining your situation and go for it. Otherwise, it is perhaps safest to inquire under another name that your family may not know you by. I applied using the name 'Sam' which is not my birth name nor my legal name, and only a few people know me as that. I found that it helped me to let go and to relax- they saw me as a boy, not a girl-pretending-to-be-a-boy when they saw my male name.

The Royal Academy of Dance recently published their latest edition of Dance Gazette, and in it they have a wonderful article all about transgender dancers. They even have a story from a boy around my age who is also a transman and is training to be a professional- how inspiring for all of us in the transgender community! The link is right here: http://www.rad.org.uk/more/dance-gazette
I encourage all of you to read it and tell the RAD what a refreshing piece it is- who knows, perhaps we'll hear more on the subject soon?

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed this post, and to all those trans people auditioning now or in the future- Good Luck!

~Sam

5 comments:

  1. Sam:

    Congrats on auditioning and I hope you made it in:) I am sure that you are a hard worker and you have great goals ! I hope you reach your goals and good luck! You will always have my support. Are you still taking regular ballet classes? How are those going for you?

    Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,

    Thanks so much, I did in fact get in! Your support means so much to me, I feel like you've been here since the very beginning. I take class twice a week and I'm aiming to move up to five days per week next September. Class is amazing at my new studio- we have wooden floors, full-length mirrors, barres and a fantastic teacher.

    Thanks for your support,
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam:

    Kool deal! Congrats on making it in- are you taking Irish ballet or ballet? What is the difference ? Are there other guys in your classes? If so you can use them as a role model! What is the dress code for your class ?

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam:

    Anymore new updates or posting? Keep us posted!

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam, my names Martha. I'm a 24 year old researcher and I've started to write about some of the things you have been describing after talking to some other trans ballet dancers . I would love to speak with you and hear your story. I'll leave my email and phone number here: martharosebailey@hotmail.com , 0203 6375568. I look forward to hearing from you. All the best,

    Martha

    ReplyDelete